As some of my readers know, my first son was born this past year. I have learned much from the example of God the Father, but why talk about that? Instead, I’ll share what I’ve learned from my favorite father in fiction: Darth Vader. (Warning: Some serious, some facetious, many spoilers.)
1. Anakin Skywalker surpasses the example of his father.
Shmi Skywalker: “There was no father.”
2. Anakin Skywalker celebrates life and supports his partner in a crisis pregnancy.
“That’s wonderful… This is a happy moment, the happiest moment of my life.”
3. Darth Vader masters the dad puns.
“Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, director.”
4. Darth Vader goes to great lengths to connect with his son.
5. Darth Vader does not put his son in unnecessary danger.
Referencing the carbon freeze facility, “We’ll test it… on Captain Solo.”
6. Darth Vader compliments his son.
“Impressive. Most Impressive.”
7. Darth Vader believes in his son’s potential and communicates it.
“You have only begun to discover your power.”
8. Darth Vader passes on his faith.
“You don’t know the power of the Dark Side.”
9. Darth Vader tells difficult truths.
“No, I am your father.”
10. Darth Vader invites his son into a purpose larger than himself.
“Luke, we can destroy the emperor… Join me and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son.”
11. Darth Vader knows the importance of keeping a schedule.
“The Death Star will be completed on schedule.”
12. Darth Vader stays up late for his son (on the moon of Endor).
13. Darth Vader desires to spend time with his son and his friends.
Spoken to an Imperial commander, “Leave us. Conduct your search, and bring his companions to me.”
14. Darth Vader observes and compliments his son’s accomplishments.
“I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete. Indeed, you are powerful.”
15. Darth Vader introduces his son to his own mentor.
Emperor Palpatine: “I’m looking forward to completing your training. In time, you will call me master.”
16. Darth Vader encourages his son to face his problems.
“You cannot hide forever, Luke.”
17. Darth Vader only gives advice that he would follow himself.
“Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save you friends.”
18. Darth Vader does not have a lower expectation for his daughter than he does for his son.
“If you will not turn to the Dark Side, then perhaps she will.”
19. Anakin Skywalker sacrifices his life for his son.
20. Anakin Skywalker acknowledges when he is wrong and his child is right.
“You were right. You were right about me.”
21. His legacy inspires future generations.
Do you have any additional tips from Vader’s excellent parenting? Please leave them in the comments.
If you have children, I hope these examples will help you be as good a parent as Darth Vader!
Well, hopefully better.